中国通史 - Zhōngguó tōngshǐ - History of China

Description: Complete summary of Chinese history
Link to first episode

This is really helpful. Thank you very much!

1 Like

Would it be possible too add the remaing espisodes?

Sure thing! How did you like it so far?

I find it immensely helpful to acquaint myself with new words from the history of China. Unfortunately, I haven’t come across any suitable readers specifically focused on Chinese history. However, the documentary combined with the user-friendly interface provided by Lazybugs has proven to be incredibly valuable. I truly appreciate the excellent work you’ve done with lazybug .

Awesome to hear! I have an interest in history as well, but I haven’t watched this one yet due to the difficult vocabulary, perhaps I should give it a try soon :slight_smile:

What’s your study process, export words to Anki?

I only very rarely create flashcards in case I really want to remember a specific word. For that I use Pleco. I just watch the documentary with frequent pauses to read the subtitles and use the word-by-word translation. It might be not the most efficient way, but I am learning just for fun.

Interesting, I’ve soured a bit on SRS since it mainly feels like a grind I don’t have time/energy for :slight_smile: But the “testing effect” is really powerful so I’m implementing an “in-subtitle” exercise system, where if you star a word you will be asked to type out the pinyin and translation for it when you encounter it in the course of watching. If you get it right a few times then the word is hidden. Then, optionally you can review past episodes in the same way, but skipping between subtitles that have these exercises.

About History of China, there are a few more episodes now at least, they’re a bit slow to process, but I will add more as they become ready

1 Like

Thank you very much for adding episodes. Much appreciated. Regarding your idea on the in-subtitle training system: that actually sounds innovative: I have not seen SRS integrated in that way. I would love to try that, especially for vocab which is recurring frequently in a show.

@user36 I’ve released a first version of in-video reviews of starred words, and also a review tab which cycles through your latest videos. It’s a work in progress, but I think it’s reached a place of being useful now, at least to me :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for adding this feature :clap: I have tried it today and I like it: Expecially that the review actually plays the sentence from the video is helpful for learning the word(s) in conext (sentence+video image+speech) And it cylcles through the videos very smotthly without having to wait. I tend to use especially the pinyin input, because this is what I usually forget.

Great, let me know if you find any bugs or pain points! Interesting that pinyin is harder for you than translation, I’d say it’s the opposite for me… The algorithm is extremely basic right now, no SRS scheduling or anything, eventually it should adapt to the individual better.

There are some interesting exercises I’d like to try as well, like “listening comprehension” where you’re asked to write down the whole sentence, either hanzi or pinyin based on just listening, naturally only for sentences where you know the individual words well. Similarly one exercise could be translating the whole sentence and then comparing it with the provided translation to get a score.